Thursday, May 27, 2010
Monday, May 24, 2010
Friday, May 21, 2010
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
My newly remodeled bathroom garnered some attention from an editor at a national magazine that is interested in doing a feature about my kitchen and my bathroom. I am super excited....but there is one minor issue....only one side of my galley style kitchen is completely finished being remodeled.
Monday, May 17, 2010
My client Erin wanted to have this kid-size pie safe antiqued to give it personality, and coordinate with her kitchen. I think she intends for her kids to be able to store their treasures in it. Here is the finished piece.
To antique it, I started by taking the door off, and priming the exterior with my favorite XIM primer. Next I painted the exterior in an aqua blue oil enamel. Once that dried, I painted over the blue in a gold colored oil enamel. Once that dried, I painted over the gold with a cream colored oil enamel. Then I began the sanding using my Mouse sander, applying uneven pressure to the piece to get the paint to sand off in varying layers, revealing the three colors. I paid close attention to the edges of the cabinet, trying to sand them down through the paint colors without sanding too far back to the raw wood. I varnished the entire piece with Watco Wipe-on Poly Satin finish. I decided to stain the interior of the cabinet for a real authentic country feel.
To illustrate the small scale of this piece, I placed my little 4" Heath ceramics vase with geranium leaves inside.
Friday, May 14, 2010
Inspired by the abstract paintings of artist Liz Jardine, whose work has been reproduced as canvas prints and is sold here, here, here, here, here and a million other places, my client Kresta commissioned me to paint her a 36x36 abstract for her living room. Here is Kresta's original acrylic painting that I finished this week.
Thursday, May 13, 2010
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
My bungalow came with a rusty, purple, cracked clawfoot tub that is long gone,
but I saved the feet......
and since I am not using them for another tub, with some cleaning and paint, I turned them into book ends.
I think I saw this idea in Cottage Living a few years ago...or maybe it was This Old House
Monday, May 10, 2010
On Friday, I shared the mirror we redid for my friend Heather's new place, and today I thought I would share the rest of the quick decorating we did in her new kitchen and living room.
This is the living room pre-decorating, after we arranged the furniture on move-in day....and here is the newly decorated living room.
We turned an old metal frame into a chalk board, and hung it on a furniture piece that used to be in Heather's entry, and now is serving as a side table for the couch.
For an easy window treatment, I sewed a simple flat panel of fabric that coordinated with the pillows we made for the room, and then simply used upholstery tacks to nail the valence to the wall. We chose to hang it near the ceiling to raise the look of the window.
Here is another shot of her mirror makeover. Now on to the kitchen....
Above is the kitchen on move-in day. Heather wanted to lighten and break-up all of the wood, so I looked online for ideas, and found that many renters cover their cabinets with contact paper that is easily removable when they go.
We decided to try cutting a silhouette of a fleur de lis in the contact paper since Heather is a New Orleans girl, and to give the kitchen some personality.
To make the contact paper cabinet fronts, we took down the doors and removed the hinges and cabinet pulls. Then we cut out a printed stencil of a fleur de lis, figured out our placement, and traced it onto the back of the contact paper. Next, we cut out the silhouette with an exacto-knife on a self-healing mat, and then carefully adhered the contact paper to the door front. Each door was a different measurement, so there was a bit of math to do figuring out the size of each contact paper front and the exact placement of the fleur de lis.
After completing the doors flanking the sink, we decided that we had lightened up the kitchen enough, and decided to simply finish the rest of the upper cabinets with cut out fleur de lis shapes, instead of continuing the silhouette concept.
To finish off the kitchen, we added a valence in a yellow stripe above the window, again held up by upholstery tacks, and we spray painted her clock hands orange to give the room some pop.
Friday, May 7, 2010
My friend Heather moved into a cute bungalow for rent on my street. I have been helping her arrange her furniture, and do some decorating to personalize her new pad. She's had this wallpaper framed mirror for several years unused.
At some point, (maybe during the move,) the front mirror panel fell off the back wallpaper panel.
So, we took the frame off the wallpaper panel, and used hot glue to recover the panel with fabric.
Next, we re-glued the mirror and frame onto the newly recovered backer board, and
here is our finished result.