It was in pretty nice shape, so with a little elbow grease and this orange oil I cleaned it up.
Lauren wanted the cabinet to be counter height, so I added casters to the bottom of the feet to raise it a few inches, and now it has the ability to roll out of its spot if she would like to extend the leaves and use it as a larger server.
I also changed out the small knobs for something with a little more personality.
Here is the refreshed piece, just before I loaded it up for delivery.
I also made Lauren some fabric covered glass canisters to give her counter top some pop, inspired by this design*sponge tutorial.
I started with plain glass canisters from HomeGoods.
I used a metal drill bit and drilled holes in the center of each lid, so that I could add knobs to the canister lid.
Next, I cut fabric circles per the design*sponge instructions, and used rubber cement to adhere the fabric circles to the lid tops and over the sides. I had to deviate from the instructions some, as my lids were screw on, so I could not wrap the fabric all the way to the underside of the lid. To hide the edge of the fabric glued to the edge of the lid, I used ribbon, which I hot glued on to give a finished edge.
I carefully poked a hole in the fabric where my center hole was drilled with an Exacto knife, and screwed on the new knobs. These were really easy to make, fairly inexpensive and would make a great gift.