I am in California this week baby-sitting my 2 year-old niece. I have been trying to finish up some projects I started in my sister's master bedroom when I was here last. I bought a pair of these 1980's looking ginger jar style lamps at the Goodwill for $10 each for Julie's dresser.
I started rehabing them, by painting them with white primer.
Next, I painted them with a base coat of aqua latex paint, and let it dry completely before moving on.
Then, I taped off a stripe pattern on lamps. Taping horizontal stripes on a round object was a little bit tricky, and I had to cut the tape into small pieces and slowly go around to create even stripes.
After taping, I painted them with a gray latex paint, and immediately pulled the painter's tape off before it dried.
After the final coat, I used some of this silver glaze by Sherwin Williams. I found out yesterday that this product is discontinued, which is really disappointing, as I have used it on walls, cabinetry and accessories and I really like the opalesque finish it gives to a paint job.
We found some square shades at Ross for the unbelievable price of $3 each, and here are the finished lamps atop her dresser.
The original texture of the splatter paint is still visible, but not nearly as 80's inspired or noticeable with their new paint job. Julie wants to change out our bargain lampshades for a drum shade similar to the one on this Crate & Barrel lamp.