Friday, March 22, 2013

#600...sealing cedar fence

Outdoor wood maintenance is one of my least favorite chores, and we sure do have a lot of wood that needs care. I once posted about how often I have to restain my deck here, and refresh my wooden lounge chairs here, and since we added this new cedar fence and gate to our yard this past Christmas, I now get to add this to my list of outdoor wood to care for. Ugg!
The fence boards are cedar and started out an orangish color, that we decided we would like to retain if possible. If left untreated, they will bleach out and ultimately turn grayish. It has only been a few months, but already they have lightened, especially the boards that get direct afternoon sun.
I did some reading online, and learned I needed something with UV protection in it to help keep the color. I'm trying out this product by Flood that I got at Home Depot.
I started at the bottom right and brushed the sealer on with a chip brush. In these pictures I have sealed the lower six boards on the right (non-gate) side of the fence. It brought a pretty color back to the fence. I am curious how often I am going to have to do this to keep the cedar from graying.


4 comments:

dcdelis said...

Where did you get the metal framing for this fence? It's great!

Anonymous said...

I was also curious how you obtained that Metal Fence Casing the fence panels are bolted in to.

Anonymous said...

who did your fencing; that's what I'm looking for

jhon said...

there are so many different options available to increase the property, enhance privacy and keep children and pets safe from the accident and away from the street.
chain link