Monday, August 27, 2012

#519...cascades border crossing

Last week, Tyler and I rode the Amtrak Cascades train from Vancouver, B.C. , through Seattle, to Portland. It was a really scenic ride, and an easy, no-line waiting option for crossing the Canadian border.

Near the border crossing, the US government commissioned a sculpture by Annie Han and Daniel Mihalyo of Lead Pencil Studio. It is called "Ghost Billboard" and is made of twisted bits of metal. It is a commentary on the many billboards that clutter our landscape. It was surprising to see sculptural art at the border, and it was radically different than the giant metal fence with guard post border that runs along the Texas/Mexico border.

Above are pictures of the border crossing station from my seat on the train. In the lower picture you can see the Ghost Billboard behind the border booth (far right in the photo). Below are a few other pics I snapped from the train.


1 comment:

Tracy said...

Mike and I did White Plains to Montreal a few years ago on Amtrak just before Thanksgiving. The scenery was gorgeous; the border crossing a breeze. I highly recommend it. I LOVE traveling by train!