Monday, November 12, 2012

#546...marcel breuer dining chairs

Last year, I scored a vintage Danish teak dining table for my dining room. You can see more about it here. At the time, I had picked up some Marcel Breuer Cesca-like dining chairs that had faux leather seats. I shined them up, but always thought I'd replace them with something else. Here is a picture of the dining set-up last year.
I've yet to find chairs I like better, and the Cesca-like chiars have grown on me. In true hoarder style, I actually picked up several more over the course of the last year. (Several, I think are the real Breuer deal).  Here are some shots of my growing chair collection.

A month or so ago, I decided to try to paint the framing of the chairs black to give them some extra contrast. First, I took the chairs apart.
Next, I used a small 1" angled sash brush and steadily brushed on some satin finish black oil paint.
....and Voila!


Now I just need to decide whether to recover the brown faux leather seats on the arm chairs, or wait and try to find cane seat arm chairs.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

I have been wanting to do this with my Breuer knockoffs! Did you do any sanding or priming before painting them?

Unknown said...

How did you paint the inside where the mesh is?

Anonymous said...

I sanded and painted the tubular frame and the back. I used chalk paint