Wednesday, June 3, 2009

#25...simple spray paint art

I recently took a job helping a new mother accessorize her new baby's nursery. She wanted to add some color to her nursery palette of brown, light blue and light green. One of the projects I did for the nursery was to paint this bright orange airplane artwork. I did it with spray paint, and it was really simple to make the silhouette style piece.

I started with a white canvas from the art supply store. (This canvas was about 18" x 24") I opted for a canvas that was gallery wrapped around the edge, which means there are no staples showing and the canvas does not need framing.

Next, a perused google images looking for a "vintage airplane drawing" that would work for what I wanted to do. I found a tiny thumbnail picture of a plane in the position that I wanted, and I used my printer/copier to enlarge the plane to an appropriate size for my canvas. I then cut out the plane shape creating my template. I traced the plane template onto poster board, as I thought that copy paper may bleed through when I did the spraypainting. I drew the little plane puffs onto the poster board and cut them out as well.

With my three templates in hand, I laid them down onto my canvas and played around with the arrangement until I liked the composition. Next I used removable double sided tape and taped the three templates to the canvas, being certain that the edges of each shape laid down nice and flat.

I set up some newspaper in the yard, and using a Rustoleum Enamel Gloss spray paint from Home Depot, I started by spraying each edge of the canvas, trying not to get too much overspray on the face of the canvas. Once the sides dried, I laid the canvas down onto the paper and sprayed several thin layers of the bright orange paint over the canvas, being careful that I sprayed straight down onto the canvas and not from the side, (which may cause paint to leak under the templates.) Once I was satisfied with the orange coverage, I immediately used the tip of a knife to gently lift the plane and air puff templates off of the canvas, revealing the white silhouette. Once it was dry, I coated the entire surface with an acrylic matte varnish from the art supply store, to give it a more smooth surface and finished look.

The project took less than 2 hours, and cost less than $25 for the canvas, spray paint, poster board and varnish. I have done other silhouette artwork pieces in the past, and those required cutting the silhouette out of paper, and mounting it onto a background decoupage style. I like that this canvas is one smooth piece of art and does not have a collage effect like layered paper artwork has.
My camera's focus was off when I took these, so these shots are a bit fuzzy.
Don't worry it is not your eyes!

4 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Smith said...

Hi Christie!! Tyler sent Brent your blog - I love it! I'm totally going to copy the plane thing in Hunter's new big boy room. Keep in touch!

Kristi :)

3nod maka said...

تعرف الان معنا على تقدم افضل الخصومات التى نقدمة الان وباقل الاسعرا الرائعة التى تعمل على تقدنم افضل العروض الان من شركة تنظيف خزانات التى نقدمة الان وباقل الاسعار التى لا مثيل لها الان لاننا نعمل على تقدم افضل العروض الرائعة من شركة تنظيف موكيت لاننا نعمل على تقدم افضل الخصومات الرائعة من شركة تنظيف فلل المميزات التى تعمل على تقدم اضفل العروض الرؤائعة لاننا نمعمل على تقدم افضل العروض الرائعة من شركة تنظيف رخام التى تعمل على تقدم اضفل المميزات العالمية التى نقدمة الان من شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض التى نقدمة الان وباقل التكاليف الرائعة

sahar said...

للحصول عل افضل خدمات جلى سيراميك تواصلوا معنا الان بالاضافة الى اننا نوفر خدمات اخرى مميزة من اجل اعمال صيانة خزانات على اعلى مستوى و تحت اشراف افضل العمال ذلك و بالاضافة الى توفير خدمات نقل عفش باقل التكاليف التى تناسب الجميع

sahar said...

الآن و من خلال سهر يمكنكم الحصول على خدمات تنظيف خزانات بالطائف و التي نوفرها لكم من خلال فريق من العمال يحترفون تنظيف الخزانات بدقةو سرعة كما يسرنا أن نعلنل لكم عن خدمات تنظيف سيراميك بالطائف و الموفرة لكم بإستخدام مواد تنظيف متخصصة في تنظيف السيراميك للحفاظ على لمعانه و بريقه الخاص هذا بالاضافة الى خدمات شركة نقل أثاث في الطائف توفر لكم خدماته بأفضل الأسعار و بواسطة متخصصين