Thursday, July 30, 2009

#44...drapery details

I am not a fan of heavy drapery in a room, but I do like to use it to add some drama and help pull a room together. In lieu of spending a fortune on custom drapery, I like to buy ready-made panels and embellish them with contrasting fabrics, as in these photos of my brother's dining room that I decorated last year. His windows have plantation blinds on them, so the drapes are more for decoration than for function. To make his drapes, I used ready-made panels from a chain store, and added the chocolate brown stripe at the top and bottom made from a shimmery, brown, metallic tablecloth that I cut up. I have often used tablecloths and shower curtains to embellish drapes, make table runners, and recover seat cushions, as they are an inexpensive way to get a large amount of fabric. The bottom photo is a "before" of his dining room.
after

before

1 comment:

melifaif said...

Wow, you are a miracle room maker! Spectacular outcome. I adore the chandelier.