Wednesday, September 1, 2010

#230...sara's nursery for #3

Last year, I helped my client Sara decorate her daughter Isabella's room....you can see it here. In a few short days, Isabella will be getting a roommate (her little brother Diego) to make room for baby #3 that is on her way. To help make Diego feel welcome in Isabella's room, I made him a navy polka dot pillowcase for his bed, and both Isabella and Diego now have applique initial pillows on their matching beds.


Diego's old room is going to be the new baby's nursery, and Sara wanted to change as little as possible, but bring a little femininity and freshness to the room. The room has pale yellow walls, white furniture, a yellow terry cloth rocker, and this striped Roman shade.

I had several yards of Alexander Henry's 2D Zoo print that I bought clearanced several years ago that seemed to compliment the colors in the striped shade. With a few coordinating cotton prints that I bought at JoAnn fabrics, we made over the nursery from boy to girl.

First, I made a simple slipcover for her rocker ottoman.
We purchased this print from etsy of a Spanish animal alphabet.
(Sara's kids are bilingual)
I framed it in a simple metal frame and decided to embellish the mat by cutting a scallop border out of fabric and using double-sided tape, stuck it to the mat.


I recovered Diego's old train themed bumper pad using the 2D Zoo print and coordinating fabrics. We paired it with this dark (looks light online) pink lattice print crib sheet from the Dwell Studio for Target line.
I made the monogram above the crib by simply printing out some letters, blowing them up, cutting them out of fabric, and appliqueing with a zig-zag stitch onto another fabric. I then centered, stretched and stapled them onto some blank square canvases.

Here are a few more pictures of the nursery's quick change new look. Also, please note, the side wall is off of the crib because Diego has not quite moved out of the room yet........poor baby, he does not know what's about to hit him..........he's moving in with his big sis, and a new little sis is about to steal Mom away!



4 comments:

The Davison Daily said...

Um.. I think I need a cute appliqued 'W' on something with my stuff that you are working on!

Unknown said...

Wow! This looks amazing! Now all the nursery needs is a cute little baby to make the room complete!

The Robertsons of Mumbai said...

OMG - I love that zoo print! Is it still available (I cannot get the link to work)? If not, are you willing to sell a bit of yours?! I will be in Houston later this month and next month... jmarierobertson@yahoo.co.in

Christie Chase said...

Hi,
I attempted to send you an email with some other places to purchase the 2D zoo print. Let me know if you did not get it.