Monday, September 13, 2010

#235...playroom decor

My client Nicole wanted to decorate and pull together her playroom. The room was already painted red, so I suggested adding some graphic art to make the deep red color more playful. Inspired by this & this diy on design*sponge, I created some oversized silhouettes of her boys and her dog.

I followed the directions exactly to make the striped dog silhouette, but for the boys I had to modify the directions a bit, as they call for you to print your profile on 8.5" x 11" sticky back label paper and then adhere to your canvas. The canvas I was using was 20" x 20", so the heads would have been too small if I printed them on the label paper. Instead I blew them up to the size I wanted, and using carbon paper traced the profile onto the canvas.

Next I used a small paint brush and traced around my line with black paint.

Then I began filling in the area outside the profile with black acrylic paint, leaving the profile white. I used several coats of black, and then finished them with a matte acrylic varnish.



We also made a magnetic board for the wall to fit inside the molding. To create the magnet board I used aluminum flashing sold in a roll in the roofing section of HomeDepot. I had to cut the metal using tin snips, which was a bit of a challenge, but I was able to smooth it out fairly well afterward by hitting it with a mallet. I sanded the edges of the metal to dull their sharpness. Nicole painted the metal to match the wall color and using industrial strength velcro adhered the board to the wall.

I also made this cute elephant pillow to help tie in the blue and white stripe chair that was already in a corner of the room.

No comments: