Monday, October 26, 2009

#93...beach ball for the bed

I recently made this fun beach ball pillow for a client whose kid's room I helped decorate. I will be sharing the room results later this week; however, today I wanted to share the beach ball pillow, because it is so cute atop the little girl's bed! It looks like a complex pillow to make, but really it was quite simple.
I used Vogue pattern V8058 that I picked up in the sale bin at the local fabric store. Unfortunately, the pattern is discontinued, but you can get your own right here on Ebay. It is a really versatile pattern, just look at all the cool pillow options that you can make with just this one pattern.
I did alter the pattern a bit to create Reese's beach ball pillow. The pattern called for a button on each end of the intersecting pie pieces that make up the ball. I was worried the safety of buttons, and about how buttons would hold up on a kid's bed pillow, so I decided to applique two large circles onto the ends in lieu of the buttons. I used a blanket stitch to secure the end dots to the pillow. This project took about 2 hours to complete.

3 comments:

melifaif said...

I love that! So very cute.

Rachel said...

Adorable. I love the all the fabric choices! Can't wait to see more of the room!

Vanessa said...

Oh I love these balls for kids. so sweet!