Friday, June 25, 2010

#201...behind the kitchen door

While waiting on some items to arrive for my kitchen banquette corner renovation, I turned my attention to other parts of the kitchen......like the messy, underused small space behind my back kitchen door. I mostly use the space as a place to hold recycling items that need to go out to the garage to be sorted. I gave the area a small makeover, starting with this mini-drawer tole painted shelf, that looks like something my Mom would have bought at a New England craft fair in the 1980's. It may have held index recipe cards, as that is about the size of the drawers.

Believe it or not, I actually paid $10 for for this baby at the thrift shop, but it was exactly the size I needed to help prop up my bust planter that stands in that corner....and I really like the white little porcelain knobs. Here is the after, with a black paint face-lift........

I used 3 of these Chilewich vinyl placemats in lime green that I got on clearance at Sur la table to create a curtain like drape for hiding the items inside the open front shelf cabinet. I also made a small tag for my metal recycling bin using scrapbook sticker letters from Target, a piece of basketweave hand-made paper, and an old-fashioned metal bin label. I added some scraps from my Japanese vinyl collection to the bottom of the recycling bin to help catch any liquid drops.

No comments: